By Chef Paul Barrett
A message from Chef Paul on why he chose these delectable buns to make:
I made them because I’ve always had them at Asian restaurants and loved them! But during lockdown I can’t go buy so decided to have a go at doing them myself and they came out perfect 1st time. I filled them with crumbed chicken, shredded cabbage, lettuce, sushi mayo and BBQ sauce. They tasted as good as the ones from the restaurant and cured my craving for them. The sushi mayo is really important because it gives them an authentic taste.
Ingredients: 530g plain flour plus extra for dusting
2 tbsp white sugar plus a extra pinch
1tsp yeast powder
1 tbsp sunflower oil plus extra for brushing
1tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp baking powder
1. Mix in a large bowl flour sugar, 1/2 tsp salt.
2. Dissolve in a small bowl yeast, pinch of sugar & 1tsp warm water then add it to the flour mix. Add milk, sunflower oil, rice vinegar & 200ml water. Mix until it forms a dough (add extra water if needed)
3. Tip dough onto a floured surface and knead for 15 mins, place back into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for 2hrs till it doubles in size.
4. Knock the dough down and flatten, sprinkle over the baking powder and knead for 5 minutes
5. Roll out into a sausage shape about 3 cm wide and then cut into pieces about 3 cm thick you should get between 16-18 pieces.
6. Roll each piece into balls and leave for 3 minutes, then with a dusted rolling pin roll out each piece about 5mm thick.
7. Brush with sunflower oil. Rub a chop stick with oil and place in the middle of the rolled out dough then fold over the dough to make a half circle shape, then slowly pull out the chop stick. Place on top of a cut out squares of tin foil and place on a baking tray. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for 90 minutes till double in size.
8. Heat them in a bamboo steamer over a medium heat for 8 mins until they have puffed up. Repeat until you have cooked all of them. Prise open and fill.
GOOD OPTIONS FOR FILLINGS
Crumbed chicken stripes
Pulled beef brisket